Monday, April 13, 2009

And it begins...

For about 7 years now I have lived in the quiet little Arlington neighborhood called Shirlington Village. My husband and I have been married for about 2 1/2 years (3 years in October...I can't believe how time flies) and before we were married a furry little yellow labrador puppy came into our life named Jackson (Jack Jack for short).

Okay, okay, so our story sounds like many others however, to us, our story is our life (and one that I love dearly).

How many of you have thought to yourself, "Gosh, I would really love to have a puppy...maybe we should just take a look at them." Well, don't fool yourselves kids, there is NO SUCH THING at "just looking" at sweet little 8 week old yellow labrador puppies...YOU BUY ONE.

So, one Sunday morning (after a very LONG night out on the town with friends) my boyfriend (now husband) and I get up and he says "I really want to get a puppy and I think we should go look today. Let's get online and see what The Post has in their classifieds section." Okay, so I try and be a bit more level headed and say "honey, do you really think we should get a puppy, I mean it's a lot of work and responsability." Of course I get the "well, let's just go look at them...and look here, a listing for yellow labs."

Next thing I know we are heading out in the 4-Runner to Maryland (with our friend in the backseat who the night before said he "wanted a puppy as well" and for some reason still thought it was a good idea the next morning). We arrive at the, how shall I say this...questionable farm where the "breeders" lived and take a look at the little furballs gathered inside some make-shift fencing.

So naturally, what are you supposed to do in those situations (come on people, you read about this stuff ALL THE TIME), 1.) ask to see the puppies living quarters 2.) ask to see the parents 3.) ask to see the papers...Yeah, well, we did none of that...and so the story goes.

Puppies (plural...we bought one AND YES our friend bought one as well) purchased, back in the car, and heading to PetSmart (wow - didn't really think about the hundreds of dollars you have to spend on top of purchasing the little guy on food, bedding, collars, toys, etc...).

And so our little family begins with a yellow labrador named Jackson, living in Shirlington...

No comments:

Post a Comment